Natural Front Yards is a low cost, low maintenance, professionally installed lawn replacement program.
At EarthCare Landscaping we share your desire to live more ecologically.
By replacing a lawn with habitat-friendly plants, you do several positive things at once:
- Reduce the amount of water needed to keep the lawn green
- Reduce emissions caused by lawn mowers and edgers
- Create bird and butterfly-friendly spaces (increase diversity)
EarthCare Landscaping has been true to the values of sustainability and ecological landscaping for over 17 years in the South Bay Area. We are excited to provide Natural Front Yards as another valuable service to people who want to help the planet.
Create Your Own Natural Front Yard
Getting started on your yard is easy. Just follow these simple steps:
1) Take the compatibility test to see if you qualify
2) Choose a palette that you like
3) Choose any add-ons that you think would enhance your NFY
4) Fill out the following form or call us to set up a consultation/estimate meeting. This meeting costs $100, which is deducted from the cost of your Natural Front Yard installation.
Tell us about your ideal yard
The Natural Front Yards process starts with your general preferences, and the qualities of your yard. This is simplified into five designed plant palettes: Zen/ Meditative, Mediterranean, California Coastal, Contemporary, and Woodland garden palettes.
Natural Front Yards maintains its affordable cost by offering installments as package deals. When you contact us with your preferences, we will set up a meeting and house visit to discuss your preferences. Once we have decided to work together, and you have submitted a deposit, you will be on the schedule for installation. For more information on the process, see our blog series on it.
Zen/ Meditative Garden
This is a simple, spare and architectural style for a shady environment. It is soothing and green, but not too busy. Serene, with a zen-like feel, it is enhanced by the careful placement of rocks and potentially client-chosen art.
This sunny garden is vibrant with color, particularly yellow, orange, blue and purple. Some of the plant material is soft, grey or fuzzy. There will be many butterflies. Provide a bird bath and a bench for watching wildlife.
California Coastal Garden
This garden invokes images of beach shorelines with their low mounding of semi-woody shrubs. The foliage is grey and green with boulders peeking through the buff-colored ground. Lizards and butterflies abound along client collections of tumbled glass, shells, and weathered wood.
This garden is ideal to complement an Eichler or other modern-feeling home, and may be a good foil for art. It features plants that have architectural presence.
Shade – Suitable under existing Oaks, Redwoods, Birches
If you have large, existing trees or a shady area, this style is for you. Perhaps a wandering bark path leads to a sheltered garden bench. California native plants will attract birds and butterflies, and a bird bath or bird feeder would be a welcome addition.
Is Natural Front Yards right for me?
Take our compatibility test
- I have a front yard lawn I want to replace with drought-tolerant plantings.
- I want to replace all of my front lawn.
- I do not have specific plants in mind.
- I do not have strong plant allergies that need to designed around.
- Deer or gophers do not visit my property.
- I do not live on a slope.
- I do not have a serious Oxalis or Bermuda Grass problem.
- My yard does not have large trees whose roots can actively compete with new plants.
If you have checked all of the above, please fill out the interest form or give us a call to set up your consultation/bid meeting: 408-871-2792.
There are many options if you don’t qualify. EarthCare’s regular full-service design and installation is great alternative, especially if you are a person who likes to be involved with decisions and details.